Public Water Service
Water bills are mailed quarterly in the form of a post card. If payment is not received in our office by the due date, interest will be charged at 1.5%. Customers are billed the minimum fee for water consumption from 0-10,000 gallons. There is an excess rate for any water consumption over 10,000 gallons, as shown in our most recent Water Rate Resolution, which is viewable by clicking the link below. Please also check the Information page for helpful water service information.
Mandatory Water Connection Information
The Township of Lower has approved a Mandatory Water Connection Ordinance #2009-1 and the Lower Township Municipal Utilities Authority (LTMUA) has approved a Mandatory Water Connection Resolution #53-2009. The Ordinance mandates that any residence with a water main in front of the property must connect to the water system within a one (1) year period.
If your property is one of the properties that currently has a water main in front of the property, you must make application for a connection to the water system. In order for you to comply with this Ordinance, you may follow the procedures listed below:
- Within twelve (12) months from April 2009, or immediately upon change in property ownership you must complete an LTMUA application requesting connection to the LTMUA water system, found here.
- An LTMUA permit to connect will then be issued to you and you will have twelve (12) months to make the connection to the LTMUA water system.
The cost for the water connection is $1,600.00 complete. This includes the connection fee, water service line from the water main to the meter pit at the curb line, water meter and any cost for the LTMUA to install the water service to the curb line. This does not include the installation of the water service line from the water meter pit to the house or the Township plumbing permit.
You may pay the LTMUA connection fee by any of the following payment methods:
- You may pay the connection fee in full upon making the application to connect.
- You may make payments to the LTMUA over a five (5) year period interest free until the payment is paid in full.
- You may make application to the Lower Township Loan Program for a low interest loan for home repairs.
- You may make application to the USDA for a grant or low interest loan under their 504 and 502 plans.
- You may also make application to the New Jersey Housing & Mortgage Finance Agency (HMFA) for a low interest ten (10) year loan.
The next step is to contract a plumber to install your water service from the water meter pit to your home and disconnect your residential water well from your home’s water system. It is illegal to have two water sources connected to your home water system at the same time. You may also install the water service yourself if you do not want to hire a plumber. Either way you MUST obtain a plumbing permit from the Township Construction Office before any work may start. When the work is completed, the plumbing inspector MUST inspect the work and the removal of the residential water well from the home’s water system.
Once the water connection application is completed and approved by the LTMUA you will become a user of the water system. You will then start to receive a quarterly bill for water usage. If you do not complete the connection to your home within the twelve (12) month timeframe you will then start to receive a bill for the minimum water usage regardless of connection.
The LTMUA cannot install your water service from the water meter pit to your home. We were able to petition numerous plumbers in the area for competitive prices to install the water line for the residents. The list of plumbers who were willing to participate in the program can be found here. Some plumbers also offer financing for the cost of their work to install your water service line.
The following are contact information you may find helpful during this procedure:
Lower Township Municipal Utilities Authority
- (609) 886-7146, extension 3 (billing office)
- Email - JBLTMUA@comcast.net
Lower Township Construction Office - Plumbing Subcode Official
- (609) 886-1455
Lower Township Loan Program - Colleen Crippen
- (609) 886-2005, extension 134
- Email - CCRIPPEN@townshipoflower.org
USDA Funding 502 or 504 plans - John F. Bartolone, Senior Area Specialist
- (856) 205-1225, extension 111
- Email - JOHN.BARTOLONE@nj.usda.gov
HMFA Funding - Jerry Keelen, Director Single Family Programs
- (609) 278-7553
- Email - JKEELEN@njhmfa.state.nj.us
Cape May County Health Department (Well Information) - Cindy
- (609) 465-1209
The LTMUA will assist you to make this transition as smooth as possible. Should you have any additional questions, you may contact the LTMUA at the numbers above.
Sanitary Sewer Service
Sewer service is billed once per year, payable in four quarterly payments. Customers receive yearly sewer bills in December, with the first quarterly payment due January 1. This bill may be paid in full for the year. If payment is not received by the due date, interest will be charged at 1.5% after a thirty-day grace period. Sewer is a flat rate charge for residential and commercial properties and the charges are outlined in our most recent Sewer Rate Resolution, which is viewable by clicking the link below. Please also check the Information page for helpful sewer service information.
Are you having trouble viewing our forms? You may need to download the free Adobe Reader, found here.